Warmer


Let's start with this simple warm up activity

Task 1
Hands up if you agree with these statements
These statements are grouped into categories

Category A
  1. I often study English, at home, in a library, on the train.
  2. I don't study English on my own. I don't have the time, nor patience.
  3. I need English for work, to pass an exam, to get a job.
  4. I am learning English because I want to, not because I have to.
  5. I am learning English for travelling. English is fun.
Category B
  1. I watch TV programmes, films, videos in English but I don't understand what is happening.
  2. I don't watch English Video material.
  3. I need to view closed captions to understand a film in English.
  4. I don't listen to English music.
  5. I love English and American music but I don't understand the words.
  6. I love English and American music and can repeat the words even when I don't know what they mean.
  7. I understand English and American songs.
Category C

I don't like making grammar mistakes when I speak.
I need to be forced to speak English.
If I don't like the topic then I don't want to speak about it.
I prefer to listen than to speak in class.
I hate it when one person does all the talking.
I feel stupid when I speak in English.
I prefer learning vocabulary, even grammar to speaking.
I prefer speaking, speaking all the time.


Category D

Women are better language learners than men.
Young people are better learners than adults.
It is easier to learn a language when you are abroad than at home.
I don't have anyone to practise English with at home.

Task 2
Starting with Category A create two groups depending on the statements that you have agreed upon. People who agree to statements 1-5 group together and those who disagree group to form a second group. Nominate one member to take down the minutes of this debate.

Discuss and debate giving examples of own experience.

Task 3
Repeat this with all categories.

Task 4
Use the minutes of this debate as feedback and as a needs analysis.
It can also be used as an error correction Language Clinic.